Graduate college. Move back home...to Texas...out of an apartment. Become officially unemployed. Leave college friends and come back to childhood friends.
All of these things are changes that have occurred in the past month for me. I, like most others, struggle with changes, especially big ones like the ones that have take place in my life. At the beginning of April I read a scripture that stood out to me for this particular time in my life. It was Alma 36:3.
And now, O my son Helaman, behold thou art in they youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.
I am not enduring any particularly difficult things in my life. Change is just hard! This scripture has brought me a lot of much needed comfort. I know that I am where the Lord wants me to be and even though it was sad saying goodbye to wonderful friends and college I know that the next chapter of my life belongs here in Texas. If I just trust God he will support me as I figure out what exactly I am suppose to be doing right now.
I have also been reading this book called Change It Up! by Amanda Dickson. It is about how to embrace change and even seek it out in our lives. Change brings an energy to our lives and we should not see it as an awful, traumatizing thing. The book is nothing spectacular but I have appreciated the way she has made me reflect on change and how even little changes can be exciting and not scary. One of the most recent things I read from this book was about how we need to find happiness right now. She talks about how we all have a dream. My dream would be being a wife and having children (lots of them eventually). Even though this is my dream I can still find happiness in what is happening right now in my life. I feel it is okay, even good, for me to have dreams, but I shouldn't let those dreams tell me when I am allowed to be happy. The happiness I find in life will change from day to day, and I believe one day it will be what I have always dreamed. But for now I am happy with what is happening now. Tomorrow's happiness will be different, but it will still be there.
Tomorrow I go to my new singles ward. It is strange to me to think that I am no longer going to be living 30 seconds from everyone in my ward. It is odd to think I have no idea how long I will be in this ward. I am nervous to meet new people and pray they will like me. I am excited to see how the Lord wants me to serve next. I am comforted to know that despite the changes in my life the gospel and the love my Savior has for me will never change. I am excited...about church tomorrow, about my future, about the opportunities I will have, about new friends, about family nearby...about change!
Walker’s First Day Back to School
3 weeks ago

i just wrote a post about change, too. reading your blog gives me comfort. thanks mishey.
ReplyDelete