They past week I have had multiple experiences in my classroom that make me just want to break down in tears on the spot. What you say to people and how you treat them matters especially when they are children. I had one student come up and ask how to spell a word (by the way English is tricky...why should a c ever make an s sound, really?). I told her and she went back to work. About five minutes later she comes up to my desk and says "I know I am really stupid but can you help me spell...". Keep in mind my class has a high reading level and this girl is lower than other students but she is no where near stupid! I don't know whether someone told her she was stupid or if that is just how she feels when she compares herself to others. I absolutely love this student. She is funny, quirky, kind, and, yes, smart! I just keep a prayer in my heart that something I do or say can help her see what she has and the potential I see in her!
My thoughts semi related to this: Lucky for me I can see the potnetial in this bright eyed student. Often times we are blind to the potential, strengths, and good in others and even ourselves. We may not all be at the top of our class but we all have good things to offer and no one should feel less of them self because their strength is not the same as some else. My hope is that as I teach I can touch the lives of young children and help them feel good about themselves...that is just as important to me as teaching them reading, writing, and arithmetic.
Walker’s First Day Back to School
3 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment