Friday, March 25, 2011

My many names

Before this year I never knew how hard names are for kids...including my own. I started last semester with most of my students calling me "teacher". I loved when the one student that remembered my name would call me Miss Harris. In January when I switched to my new class of kindergartners I was called all sorts of things from "teacher" to "Mrs. Jenkins" (my mentor teacher) and even "Miss Hair". Luckily with about 40 kids a good amount remembered my name. Now I am in first grade and I get called 4 things...Mrs Aase (my mentor teacher), Mrs. Harris (they previously had a cohort student named Mrs. Harris so a bit confusing), my actual name Miss Harris, and my all time favorite by one little boy "Student Teacher" I literally laugh out loud when he calls me this.

If you think remembering my name is difficult just wait to see all the fun ways they spell it :)
  • Miss Harriss
  • Mrs Heres
  • Mrs Haris
  • Miss Hawes (this is one of my students who struggles with her r's and needless to say I have a soft spot for her since I know how hard r's can be)
  • Mre Herise
  • Miss Heares (on the outside of a card) and Miss Hearis (on the inside of the card) tehe
  • Mrs Harris
  • Miss Harris (prize for the correct name and title goes to my red headed kindergartner!)
My Point: Next time you go to spell a seemingly easy word be grateful you know how.
Next Point: Be grateful when people call you by your name...some of us have to answer to MANY names...lucky for me I find it endearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment