Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My reminder in the park

Okay so kinda a heads up this may be a bit of rambling, but it was definitely an ah-ha moment for me today. If you want a sum up scroll on down. 

So today I got a burst of motivation for some reason and decided to go run at the sports complex in our town.  I do two loops. The first one I run and the second I walk because let's face it I am a bit out of shape and I don't have a coach yelling at me to keep running. :) 

As I ran I listened to my ipod...it is the motivation  I need to keep running.  I usually listen to my ipod the second time around, but lately I have kept hearing how we need to turn down the "noise" in our lives.  So today I decided to walk with nothing more than my own thoughts and whatever the Lord could tell me as I was walking.  About halfway around I encountered a family that  appeared to be a lower income family.  They were sitting in the shade tossing a water bottle and giggling...lots! Oh what a sight it was! To see this sweet family just enjoying being together.  It was a true reminder to me of what is really important in life and I know that I would have missed that moment if I had my music turned up.  

I don't need to stay up on the latest trends. I don't need the fastest car or the newest phone.  I don't need a big house or the appearance of a perfect life (cuz, honestly, no one actually has a perfect life).  

It is the little things that can be easily forgotten in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.  It is the little things like...
spending time with loved ones
the beliefs that we hold
the kindness we have for those we know as well as strangers
the knowledge I strive to attain
the effort put into becoming a better person
smiles and laughter

To sum it up:
1. Turn down the noise of life to hear the whispering of the spirit
2. Remember what is truly important in life because it is easy to forget in our world

1 comment: