Sunday, December 12, 2010

14 day walk: Day 1 & 2

So every year around Christmas time I do a 14 day walk with Christ. I read the same stories every year and ponder the same questions. Each year I still learn and grow from the experience. This year Jolene is doing it with me and since we won't be in the same place up until Christmas we had to start early and we are making it an 8 day walk with Christ. Today was our first day.

For day 1 we read an article by Elder Bruce R. McConkie. It is titled The Child, the Boy, the Man Few People Know. The questions that went with it are: Do I know Him? Am i growing to be like Him? The life the Savior led was amazing. It always sticks out to me that the Savior is just like me in that He had to learn to walk and talk. He played games. He went to school. Yet, His life is like no others. He knew so much at a young age and sacrificed so much for my sake. He knows the pains I go through because He has gone through them. He is my friend, my confidant, my redeemer!

For day 2 (which we also read today), we read a story by Lucille C Reading called The Christmas Shoppers. If you have not read it, it is about two boys from a poor family who are each given $15 from a charity to get something for Christmas. The money was meant to be spent on themselves, but the boys take a tracing of their father's foot to a shoe store. The shoes the sales clerk brings costs 39.95 and the boys only have $30. The sales clerk give the shoes to the boys for only $14.98 so they still had something to buy for themselves. The boys choose to spend the rest of their money on gifts for their mother and two little sisters.
The question that went along with this story is: In all my decisions today I will ask, "What would Christ do?" This story was a reminder to me that the Savior put others first. The boys more than likely had few toys and wanted more, but they chose to help their family and to think of others' needs. Am I putting others first? Right now I am in a very stressful and selfish time in my life, but that should not get in the way of putting others first. Serving those around me, while it can be time consuming, actually relieves the stresses of life.

As I think of the questions from both day 1 and 2, I have realized that when I am putting others first I am becoming more like Christ. Christ is the ultimate example of serving others and by doing so I will also come to know Him better.

No comments:

Post a Comment