Wednesday, September 18, 2013

This Is Me Challenge: Birth and Family

So most people who know me know that I enjoy genealogy.  I love helping my ancestors receive the ordinances they need, but it is even more meaningful and exciting as I come across stories and pictures that help me come to know them.  I hope someday I have great great grandchildren who share the love of learning about those they came from.  With that in mind, I want to leave my own personal history.  Maybe one of my descendants will learn and receive added strength from my life experiences.

Birth & Family

My full name is Michelle Brianne Harris.  When my mom was pregnant they didn't really have any names that they both agreed on for me.  Before going to the hospital my great grandma (G-G-Ma, Billie Louise Emley) said she liked the name Michelle.  Still my parents did not settle on that.  Once they made it to the hospital they happened to get a nurse whose name was.....MICHELLE. Apparently it was meant to be.  Over the years I have had many nick names, but the ones that lasted were Chelle, Chelle Belle, Chelly, and Mich.

My mom is Jonita Emley Kitch Harris.  She was born on March 27, 1963 in Austin, TX.  She was the oldest of 5 kids.  Growing up she moved around a lot. My dad is Allen Van Harris.  He was born on October 16, 1963 in Anaheim, CA.  He was the youngest in his family.  He ended up growing up in Las Vegas, NV.  

I was born at 11:53 p.m. on April, 16, 1989 in American Fork, UT.  I came 3 weeks early. I weighed 6 lbs. 7 oz. and was 19 inches long.  When I was born my left foot was pressed flat against my leg and my parents had to rub it to get it to lay the right way.  (My dad always teased that I may have run faster in track and cross country if this hadn't happened)

I have one older sister, Nicole Emley Harris Baker.  She was born on June 1, 1986 in Provo, UT.  My parents actually thought she was going to be a boy, but luckily they got Nicole instead!  

I love my family very much and feel blessed to be in my family.  My mom and I are very similar in we just kind of go with the flow and tend to be people pleasers.  We get along with most people and try to avoid rocking the boat.  My dad and I have a similar taste in certain "nerdy" things.  He taught me to be comfortable with the things I love even if others do not realize the coolness they are missing out on.  My sister and I are opposites in most ways.  Even with our differences, we love each other very much and get along.  As kids we had fights like most siblings.  Being the oldest, Nicole usually got the blame and I would sometimes make it look that way even if it was my own doing.  I know that sounds awful, but she often used me to get things she wanted done.  We truly did love each other regardless of our spats.  

  • My parents taught me many lessons.
    • Serve others in your family, church, community, and wherever you go.
    • Hard work pays off.
    • Be a life long reader.
    • Be supportive of those you love. (My parents rarely missed a track, cross country, band, etc. event no matter the circumstances)
    • It is better to try and lose than to never have tried.
    • We often have to let others make their own mistakes, but can still act as a strength and anchor when they turn to us. 
As a kid I was not always the most helpful kid.  I would do simple chores (clean room, make my bed, setting the table, etc.).  I wasn't much of a cleaner as a kid. I was more into the organized chaos. Luckily as I have gotten older I realize the value in a clean living space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment